Dear NCFCA Affiliates,
Like most organizations, NCFCA leadership has met over the last two weeks to evaluate the recommendations and mandates by the CDC, WHO, state and local governments, and our host facilities regarding the COVID-19 outbreak. Regrettably, NCFCA’s leadership, in consultation with the Board of Directors, has decided to cancel the remaining seven qualifying tournaments including Mixers and the KY National Open. Our plan is to assess our ability to host Regional Championships in the coming days with the intent of moving forward with those as planned, if possible.
Our initial response to the outbreak, as you know, was preparedness and prevention with the institution of protocols designed to mitigate risk at our tournaments. Given that certain areas in the country were experiencing varying levels of interruption, we chose to consider tournaments this week on a case-by-case basis, cancelling the Tacoma, WA Qualifier due to its geographical proximity to the US epicenter and the urging of local government officials to refrain from gathering. As the week has unfolded, we had to cancel two more tournaments on short notice due to a facility host closing their campus and another host city declaring a 7-day Health Emergency. Yesterday, the situation changed again very quickly. With the declaration of an official pandemic by the World Health Organization, institutions and organizations around the country began to contribute to the effort to contain the spread of the virus by cancelling events and large gatherings.
NCFCA is committed to the safety and support of our host facilities and the communities in which we live and compete. Several of our facilities around the country, including Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville,KY are under recommendation or mandate by state governments to move their students off campus and to cancel group events. Several others have indicated uncertainty with their future plans. While experts believe this virus would likely not cause any of our students or even parents great harm, it would be irresponsible for us as an organization to move forward with tournaments when significant restrictions are being put in place all over the country to mitigate the spread of this virus.
NCFCA will refund registration and meal fees for cancelled tournaments as soon as we are able to process them. You do not need to take any action. Please do not contact the registrar before April 1 about these refunds. As you can imagine, we are dealing with an unprecedented situation and appreciate your prayers and patience as we work through the details. Specifics regarding impact to the qualification system will be published as soon as possible.
Thank you for your grace as we walk through what we know will be a significant disappointment and inconvenience to many. I am so grateful we know the Lord knows every issue we will face. COVID-19 and the surrounding upheaval of our lives and schedules are no surprise to Him.
Resting in His Plan,
NCFCA Executive Director
Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand. Proverbs 19:21 (ESV)